Saturday, October 7, 2017

Jar of Coins

Jar of Coins 4.5" x 3.5" oil on arches oil paper


In the summer when I heard the ice cream truck song 'pop goes the weasel' I'd run out of my house with a big jar of pennies and I'd buy as many candy cigarettes as I could. I've been looking at objects with new wonder, everything looks like it'd be interesting to paint at least once. As long as I squint I can break down any complex object. I'm in the process of moving to Kirkland so I'm finding so many neat things that were tucked away.
I've been watching a lot of interviews while painting, I saw Stephen King on YouTube doing a Q&A with college students, he said a few things I liked. He spoke about ideas and time, how the good stuff sticks around. He referenced shaking out breadcrumbs in a strainer and in the course of time, the good big breadcrumbs stick around and the little bits fall out.

No comments:

Post a Comment