Saturday, September 3, 2016

This is Water #1

This is Water #1  (6" x 6") oil on masonite board

It's been a very long time since I last posted! I recently graduated from the University of Washington with a MFA in Painting and Drawing. My thesis show was based on a view out of Columbia Center in downtown Seattle. I sat in Sky View Observatory and made some onsite drawings as research for larger studio paintings. My website shows my thesis work which is currently hanging at Northwest Woodworkers Gallery in Belltown.

In this painting I used Portland Grey Deep and Zinc White, both Gamblin brand. On the masonite I used rabbit skin glue (RSG) and then an oil ground on top. RSG is a traditional gesso that leaves a fantastic surface especially compared to acrylic gesso which feels like plastic. The Portland Grey Deep has an attractive look on the yellow ground, there's an almost purple quality to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment