Saturday, September 8, 2012

Pillow Candy

Pillow Candy 6" x 6" oil on canvas
Buy it Now!
These are some complimentary chocolates from the Aria in Las Vegas, they are water-themed, just like the hotel was. There was this silver sculpture of a jet of water by Maya Lin right behind the reception desk. The painting has a Mondrian-esque quality to it, particularly in the way the yellow is subdued by the red, with the blue forward, in order to keep a sense of equilibrium. I really enjoyed showing the texture of the foil wrappers. Ideally, I think this is the style I want for my work, where it's realistic but has a painterly touch. I love seeing paintings that totally read as super realistic from far away, but when you come closer you can really see the paint from the surface, it's like two different worlds of the same painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment