Monday, December 12, 2011

A Delightful Carnation

A Delightful Carnation 2.5" x 2.5" oil on canvas
This is another tiny thing I made for the art sale. I think that the top of the bottle looks like those warp pipes from Mario. I like the outline and the general style. It often seems like tinier pieces take longer sometimes, especially when you're fussing over an ellipsis on the bottle. In one of my Romanticism classes I wrote a paper on miniatures. Along with the paper I had to recreate how they used to make miniatures and I chose to cut some copper plate into an oval. I think the other option was to do watercolor on ivory, but that's not really an accessible item in the 21st century. Anyway, I used oil paints (some that I mixed from powder like they used to) and painted a self-portrait. Very good project, I pretty much stipple anything that is tinier than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment